After twenty years of partnership with Our Lady of Good Counsel Church/Blessed Sacrament Parish, Aquinas Literacy Center is moving to a new location in McKinley Park as of July 1, 2017. Our new home, 1751 West 35th Street, offers ample space in a more visible location, next door to the local elementary school. Since 1996, Aquinas Literacy Center has offered individualized instruction in the English language to the adult immigrant population of McKinley Park and surrounding areas (Bridgeport, Back of the Yards and Brighton Park) of Chicago. Through one-on-one tutoring, combined with supplemental learning opportunities (conversation classes, book clubs and writing workshops) and a computer learning center, learners are empowered to transform their lives by acquiring skills to become successful parents, productive workers and responsible citizens. Annually, 150 volunteer literacy tutors instruct 200 adult learners. For more information please click here.
Monthly Archives: May 2017
“The Dominican Sisters of San Rafael are pleased to share this good news with the Dominican family and friends. Renovation of the yellow hallway will begin shortly as we look forward to welcoming new residents to Our Lady of Lourdes Convent.”
‘Nadine Foley, OP, Former Adrian Dominican Prioress and National Leader of Women Religious, Dies at 93’
Adrian, Michigan – Sister Nadine Foley, OP, Prioress of the Adrian Dominican Sisters from 1986 to 1992, died on May 13 at the age of 93.
For much of her religious life, Sister Nadine figured prominently in religious circles as a leader both for the Adrian Dominican Congregation and for women religious throughout the nation. She served for two terms as a General Councilor for the Adrian Dominican Sisters, in 1974-1978 and 1978-1982, before being elected as the Congregation’s Prioress in 1986.
May 1, 2017, Adrian, Michigan – In a brief but moving ritual, the Adrian Dominican Sisters on April 28 dedicated a memorial marker for Sisters in the Our Lady of Remedies Mission Chapter, based in Pampanga, Philippines.
Engraved on the stone marker in the Congregation’s cemetery are the names of Sisters Aleli Mayor José, OP; Esperanza Leonardo Bonifacio, OP; Lettyham Gomez Espiritu, OP; and La Purisima Alcantara Careso, OP. The names of other Sisters from the Remedies Chapter will be engraved on the marker upon their deaths.
Columbus, OH – In keeping with the Dominican tradition and the Congregation’s commitment to education, the Dominican Sisters of Peace have given a $1.5 million gift to Ohio Dominican University in Columbus, OH. Ohio Dominican is a co-educational liberal arts university founded by the Dominican Sisters of Peace in 1911.