The Dominican Family includes many talented visual, literary and culinary artisans. Why not consider giving a gift from the heart and hands of a Dominican this year? This is a great way to support Dominican ministries while you cross items off your holiday shopping list. Below are some links to get you started.
More ideas are welcome! We will keep this list posted through the end of December, so if you have any links you would like to suggest, please send them to firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you!
10 ways for Christmas gifts to reflect your values
National Catholic Reporter
Centro Santa Catalina
Centro Santa Catalina was founded by two Dominican Sisters of Adrian, Michigan—Sister Donna Kustusch and Sister Eleanor Stech. In the summer of 2011, the Dominican Sisters of Peace (Columbus, Ohio) adopted the center as a new initiative of the congregation. The current director is Sister Rene Weeks, OP.
Items handmade by women in the Centro Santa Catalina sewing cooperative available for purchase include colorful shawls, blankets, tablecloths, Christmas ornaments and baby clothing.
Dominican Nuns of Summit, New Jersey
Monastery of Our Lady of the Rosary Gift Shoppe
Sister Mary Grace Thul, OP
Contemporary religious and liturgical art
Sinsinawa Dominican Sisters
Book and Gift Gallery
CON/VIDA (“with life”) is a nonprofit organization dedicated to promoting understanding of the diverse cultures, traditions and history of the Americas expressed through popular art. Sister Barbara Cervenka, OP, Co-Director.
Sister Barbara Schwarz, OP (Amityville)
Ministry of Preaching Through the Arts
Blessing Upon Blessing (2010) and Silver Linings (2012) by Maxine Shonk, OP — The Spirituality Network
The Spirit of St. Dominic by Fabio Giardini, OP — DNS Publications
The Life of Saint Agnes of Montepulciano by Bl. Raymond of Capua — DNS Publications
Drawn by Love: A History of the Dominican Sisters of St. Catherine of Siena (2010) by Marie Therese Hanna, OP — Link to DomLife article
Sisters of St. Dominic of Blauvelt
Charisma Gift Shop
Sister Pauline Blandina, OP (Sparkill)
Sister Joyce Roach, OP (Tacoma)
1111 Rose Lane
Tacoma, WA 98406-1809
Gift subscriptions to the print edition of Dominicana are available for $15 each from the Dominican Province of St. Joseph. Dominicana is a publication of the Dominican Students of the St. Joseph Province, who live and study at the Dominican House of Studies in Washington, DC. The blog is updated every weekday, and the journal appears twice a year. For more information, click here.
Sustainable and Environmentally Friendly Christmas Gifts (shared by the Dominican Sisters of Caldwell, New Jersey)
- Buy Fair Trade products (visit www.serrv.org)
- Buy a living gift: a holly tree, rosemary tree, or plant a tree to honor someone
- Support Heiffer Interational or Habitat for Humanity
- Donate a monetary gift in honor of someone to Food for the Poor, Lamp for Haiti, to feed a family, educate a child or provide medical care
- Offer to car pool, babysit, or grocery shop for someone
- Buy a gift certificate to a local store, restaurant or movie theater
- Give a gift certificate for a service, such as a car wash, oil change, visit to a beauty parlor, massage or yoga session
- Offer to cook dinner or dessert for someone
- Reuse gift bags or wrap your gifts in reuseable cloth bags